Sunday, January 24, 2010

Grateful

I've been a little hesitant to journal lately because I'm not sure who might end up reading all this. But I've decided I can't worry about it or I'll never write. The rain over the past week has cleaned the air and removed the haze from the mountains around us. It's been beautiful outside. Crisp, I'd say, if that's a descriptive term one can use in the deserts of southern Nevada. And here I sit, inside, pecking away on my laptop. Go figure.
Anyway--I want to catalog some things I enjoy; partially so I will remember, and partially so someday my children will know that their mother is/was a real person.
I enjoy reading aloud to people--my kids and Troy, in particular. I like to write. I like fitting words together in ways that blend and flow. I like to do hair--to braid, style, "fix" it. I like to follow a pattern and sew something. I love to build things--to follow a pattern exactly and to have something come out the way it is intended to come out. I used to love "paint-by-number" paintings when I was a little girl. I think I am creative, to an extent, but as I get older I see more and more the conventional side of me. Maybe I would be a good accountant? I like to do math in my head. Baking has always been a great release for me. That's part of my pattern-following nature, although I do tend to make minor changes whenever I am feeling brave. To me there is great reward in crossing my t's and dotting my i's and ending up with a finished product that I (and hopefully many others) can enjoy. I like to ditty around on the piano, although I'm not very good. I like to have a clean environment because then I can finally relax. I like to sit on my porch swing, but usually not when I'm alone. I like to play board games, I like to laugh, I like to eat homemade popcorn (none of that microwave junk for me). I like farmer's markets--with fresh produce and bread and kettle corn (Yum!). I love eating garden-fresh anything. (I need to be done for today, but the more I type, the more I'm thinking of. I will have to make this "Part 1".)