Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Constancy & Hope

Over the past several days I've been pondering the constancy of God. The organization of nature and of this universe. The fact that night inevitably follows day and Spring follows Winter. That apple seeds produce apple trees, and rosebushes produce roses. Even down to the fact that if I eat too much my stomach will hurt. The order of His creations gives me peace, comfort, and abiding faith. So much of what I see in the earth--birth, renewal, even death--can bring hope to me, if I let it.
Look at the beauty and variety of His creations. I marvel at not only the tastes and smells of different fruits and vegetables, but also their characteristics of color, size, shape,and texture. It's amazing to me, not only at the beauty of these foods that He has provided for our enjoyment and nourishment, but also at the particular poetry of each plant or tree or bush on which they grow, or the flowers these plants produce! It's no wonder I've gotten distracted into forgetting about the outside world--when I absorb it, how can I not remember the Lord?
Most of all I am grateful for His constancy in remembering me. In giving me chance after chance--loving me, helping me, giving me only what I need, when I need it. I'm so grateful for His perfect and loving ways, His desires for good, the light He brings. I'm grateful for what He teaches me and for what He allows me to experience. He is my perfect parent, and I'm grateful to be one of His children.